Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Bye, Bye Paci

Okay, so I have been dreading this moment since we gave her a paci after two days after coming home from the hospital. We have been telling her for a while that 3 year olds can't have a paci, so when she turned 3 paci would go away. For the last couple of weeks she has been waking up two to three times every night looking for her paci. So we decided that was enough reason not to wait until her birthday. I started at naptime on Monday. I think she cried for 30 to 45 minutes. It was absolutely heartbreaking and I had to go out into the garage for a while. She was snuffing when she finally cried herself to sleep. Monday night there wasn't a ton of crying, just a lot of calling for us. She would try to reason with us why she should have her paci. She would say, "I'm still two", "I'm your baby, mommy", and "I don't want to be a big girl anymore." We stuck with although I didn't want to. Tuesday was a lot better. She kept asking for it all day, but no crying at naptime and bedtime went a lot smoother. Today has been great. She hasn't really even asked for it. Hopefully it will keep getting easier. I do have to admit that I hate it. It means she is growing up and becoming more independant. She still looked like a baby when she had her paci. I can't believe she will be 3 in a couple of days. It is so surreal that it has gone by so fast.

6 comments:

The Halbert Home said...

I read a story where the mom told her child they needed to send the paci's to other children who'd never had one all the way across the world. They packaged them up and took them to the post office and winked at the lady and left them there as if they were mailing them. It worked for that kid.

Double Dees in SC said...

Proud of you for putting your brave face on! :) Love that little girl!!!

Outnumbered! said...

Aw! What a big girl!

w and js mommy said...

Guess we will take back all the pacis we bought her for her birthday!!! HAAA Just kidding- Listen I think that W will sleep with Puppy and Kitty till he is 12

Caroline said...

Three days is pretty darn good! Way to be strong Mommy - even if it means taking a trip out into the garage:)

The Rollins Family said...

Oh dear! This makes me want to allow MC to have her paci until she is 18! That is so pitiful. I dread the day. You're awesome!